Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

Well hello, kiddies! I know you must have missed me almost as much as I've missed rambling about irrelevant bullshit. I'm here to fill the void for both of us.

Where to start?

So my teeth are healed. Hallelujah! The few days spent resting instead of running around like a banshee felt like an eternity. If I had to imagine how life in a loveless marriage would feel, that is as close a comparison I could make. Days and nights on a couch, eating, napping, watching reality TV... miserable.

On an exciting little side note, I had my first editorial feature! It's just a small piece about my fabulous self and my fabulous infantile business venture, The Butter and Bean. Through this piece, I was contacted by Diabetes Foundation, Inc. to volunteer as a speaker and demonstrator! This is the reason why I love what I do. The fact that I can speak to children who are going through what I went through and show them that while life is different, it is as fantastic as you make it, thrills me. Like I've said before, diabetes does not define you and marching to the beat of your own drum is endearing, not hindering. Also, I will be a vendor at their 5k walk this weekend. I'm so excited to hand out little goodies to my pancreas-challenged comrades and their supportive families. Not to mention, shamelessly plugging my brain-child...

I made some treats this past week. It could have been the painkillers, but I swear I heard my Kitchenaide (which I have named Coco) calling out to me, "USE ME, YOU USELESS COW". It wasn't something I was willing to deal with for much longer.


Some Avengers cupcakes, anyone? Vanilla/vanilla cupcakes with fondant Captain America, Hulk, and Iron Man themed caps. They were delicious. And adorable. Duh.


 Ah, Mother's Day. I hope everyone had a hoot celebrating the reason we're all here: Mothers. Sometimes they're crazy, sometimes they're infuriating. Whatever the case, they are a part of us, and if you're as lucky as I am, they might be the best part. 

I'm fortunate enough to be creative, smart, and outspoken just like my mom. I was on the path to becoming a doctor, just like my mom was. I have extremely supportive and loving parents, unfortunately, like my mother does not. My mother was born in Athens, Greece, to very selfish and close-minded old fashioned parents. Her parents believed that a woman's future was to be spent cleaning up after her children and Greek husband, not as an educated professional in the career of their choice. Because she is the woman she is, she refused to be an oppressed wash-woman living to cook and clean for a diner-owning hairball. Through her full-time job at a bank, she was able to enroll at a college as an Accounting major. She has been in accounting ever since. My mother is a sparkling, talented woman who I often model myself after. She hates what she does now. Hates it. Glass ceiling? Steel ceiling. In a field primarily driven by egotistical men, she diligently wills herself to work every day so that she could send me to a university for 3 years, and then to an outrageously pricey Culinary school when I decided to pursue a notoriously tough career- as a diabetic. This is why I love my mother. Sacrifice isn't sacrifice to her. She tells me everyday that doing what she does is a privilege because I am her daughter. Happy Mother's Day, Mommy.

Oh, and the cupcakes were Vanilla, Vanilla with, what I believe to be, adorable fondant caps and a pretty fondant flower. 

As far as the love life, goes, that's what I'm doing. I'm loving life and taking it as it comes. At the end of the day, everyone can (and most will) hurt you. When you can have love and faith in yourself, you are one step closer to impenetrable. I have faith that one day, someone will love me unconditionally and whole-heartedly because I have that love for myself. If you don't know what you're truly worth, no one else will either. It took getting my heart broken to find the love of my life- myself. One day someone will come in at a close second place.

To all my heartbroken or love-starved darlings out there who are losing or who have lost faith: trust that no one will love you like you and anyone who doesn't try to, doesn't deserve to.

No comments:

Post a Comment